Waaaaaayyyyy back in September 2009 I joined a red/aqua Disappearing Nine Patch swap. This was one of the stacks of fabric I bought to use for the swap:
It was a fairly straightforward swap. Each participant makes 25 nine patch blocks like this:
Then we cut each nine patch in half once vertically and once horizontally to create four blocks:
We mailed our cut blocks in to Jane. She (somehow) shuffled all of the hundreds and hundreds of blocks up and then mailed us each back 100 blocks. It was fun to get my stack in the mail and look through all of the interesting fabrics. It took me a long time to decide just how I wanted to use my blocks. For a traditional disappearing nine patch, you take the four blocks and swap two of them (top left and bottom right in this case).
Then you sew them back together to create a larger block that looks something like this:
You can create all sorts of interesting blocks depending on the placement of fabrics in the original nine patch block, and how you arrange the cut blocks in the last step. I created a gallery in flickr to show some other disappearing nine patch quilts. I also found a disappearing nine patch tutorial that uses the oh-so-convenient charm squares.
I chose to arrange my blocks in a different way. I’ll show you the finished quilt soon. I just need to recruit someone to hold it for me so I can get a decent photo. My kids have no patience for quilt photography sessions. Bribing them with chocolate doesn’t help.