Here's my finished quilt - with the Moda Crossweave in grey as the background. I chose to make mine a baby size, which uses just one jelly roll and 3 yards of background fabric. (If you have questions - keep reading! I give all the details below.)
I originally was going to make the throw size, exactly as in the pattern, but then I decided to give the quilt away to a young friend instead of keeping it for myself. The baby size (48" x 51") was a better fit for this little girl.
If you want to make a baby size too, here's the info:
First, download the free pattern here.
- 28 jelly roll strips
- 3 yards background fabric
- 3/8 yard binding (5 binding strips cut at 2.5" wide)
- Creative Grids Hexagon Trim Tool and Creative Grids 60 Double Strip Ruler OR you can also use the Hex N More Ruler if you already have that.
From the 3 yards of background fabric:
- cut 28 strips @ 2.5" x WOF (use these with the jelly roll strips to make the "Star Block Strip Sets" as in the pattern)
- cut 6 strips @ 4.5" x WOF and cut these into 28 half hexagons as shown in pattern.
- cut 2 strips @ 4.5" x WOF and cut these into 24 (4.5") triangles as shown in pattern.
Follow the pattern instructions, and use the diagram below for the layout. The image below shows the full quilt from the pattern, and the black lines show the edges of the baby size.
The baby size quilt will measure 48" x 51"
For the binding I chose the sweet little bows from the Little Ruby fabric line, and I quilted it with some loops. I'm thinking the loop design must be my favorite - my last three quilts have the same quilting! It's quick to do, and hard to mess up - I've done it so many times I don't have to think much as I quilt. It's quite relaxing.
A big thanks goes out to the Fat Quarter Shop for hosting the quilt along! Have you been quilting along with us? Here's a list of other bloggers who have been participating in the quilt along. I can't wait to see their finished quilts too!
Melissa from Happy Quilting
Angie from Gnome Angel
Erin Cox from Why Not Sew
Andy from A Bright Corner
Heidi from Buttons & Butterflies
Pat from Pat Sloan
Peta from She Quilts a Lot
Heather from Quilt Story
Megan from Quilt Story
Amanda from Jedi Craft Girl
Gerri from Planted Seed Designs
Sherri from A Quilting Life
Rebecca from Bryan House Quilts
Sherri from This & That Patterns
Jemima from Tied with a Ribbon
Alyce from Blossom Heart Quilts
Stephanie from Modern Sewciety
Brooke from Silly Mama Quilts
Carrie from Moda's United Notions